Google

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

What makes an adult...


I am forcing myself into adulthood today. I'm kicking and screaming, but I'm going.

I always thought having a real job would make me feel grown up, but I ended up selling booze for a living, and that keeps me connected to the college student in me. Getting married? No chance. My wife is 5 years younger and refuses to let me be old.

Certainly then, the reason for this site, my children, would finally propel me into adulthood! Those of you with two year olds, or remember having them, know that that is not true. Playing with my son makes me feel like a kid again, makes all my old man aches and pains go away.

I know, if none of these life fulfilling events have forced me to become what I know I have to be, an adult, what could possibly do so?

Today I am selling my old convertible.

I don't really want to. It runs great. Only has 138,000 miles on it. Still as fun as the day I bought it. But it isn't practical. Not appropriate for a "Sales Manager". Can't drive important wine geeks around in it. Can't put car seats in it. I'm starting to look like that "middle aged" guy we all made fun of when we were in our 20s.

I've been fooling myself lately. Thinking I was saving it for my sons, it would be their first car(Ryan can drive in only 14 more years!). Saying I would use it on weekends. The weather here in SoCal is always convertible weather. The truth is that it hasn't moved in months. If I am going to go somewhere on the weekend, I want to take my son. In 14 years it will probably be a pile of dust. The weather here in the summer is actually AC weather.

The truth is it is time for it to go.

(But not me - I'm think I'll go play XBox with my son)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home